- Keep the feast on the table—not under it. Eating turkey or turkey skin – sometimes even a small amount – can cause a life-threatening condition in pets known as pancreatitis. Fatty foods are hard for animals to digest, and many foods and drinks that are OK for people are poisonous to pets – including alcoholic drinks, macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, raisins and grapes. If you want to share a Thanksgiving treat with your pet, make or buy a treat that is made just for them.
- No pie or other desserts for your pooch. Chocolate can be harmful for pets, even though many dogs find it tempting and will sniff it out and eat it. The artificial sweetener called xylitol – commonly used in gum and sugar-free baked goods – also can be deadly if consumed by dogs or cats.
- Yeast dough can cause problems for pets, including painful gas and potentially dangerous bloating.
- Put the trash away where your pets can’t find it. A turkey carcass sitting out on the carving table, or left in a trash container that is open or easily opened, could be deadly to your family pet. Dispose of turkey carcasses and bones – and anything used to wrap or tie the meat, such as strings, bags and packaging – in a covered, tightly secured trash bag placed in a closed trash container outdoors (or behind a closed, locked door).
We will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. Please contact 24/7 Pet Poison Hotline at 855-764-7661 or Contact the Veterinary Emergency Critcal Care & Referral Center in Newington at 603-431-3600